Background1

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

"Lesson in Humility"

A woman sat on the swing of her front porch. Four friends greeted her.

“Hello” they said.

“My name is Riches” replied the one.

“And Mine is Honour” said the Second.

“And mine Wisdom” said the third.

“And mine is Humility.” replied the last a little more timidly then the other three.

“You may choose which one of us you would like to have.” Wisdom stated.

The woman pondered on this. If I had Riches... I could get out of debt and I could give to my friends and I could live comfortably for the rest of my life. She thought. But if I chose Wisdom... I could help others and change things for the good. What a difference I could make. Yet what of Honour... I would love to be honored. People would think highly of me and they would respect me. The woman looked up. Her eyes glancing over at each one. Then she thought of how many times she had thought I could this and I could that... and then she knew her choice.

I choose Humility” she said as she opened the door to her home.

Humility walked up the porch stairs and into the house. Then to the woman's surprise.... Wisdom followed then Riches and then Honour.

“I don't understand” the woman said in shock.

Then Wisdom answered, “Where Humility goes we all follow. If you had chosen any other one of us we wouldn't have been able to go... because without humility we won't last.”

No comments: