Background1

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

"The Dress Devotional"

During Summer Camp of 2005, God began to work on my heart. He showed me an illustration of how the world claims our hearts. He gave this too me the day before I left camp. It was an illustration I had seen when I was a teenager. The sad thing to me was that the girl who gave the illustration was no longer living for the LORD.

To do this illustration I needed a dress. Not just any dress, I need a dressed that was precious. I brought with me my high school graduation dress. I had no intention of destroying the dress when I brought it. But during one of the messages God required it of me. To have full effect for this illustration the dress would have to be cut bit by bit… piece by piece.

Dress Devotional:

"The Value of Beauty"

How many of you wake up in the morning and say to your self, how can I make myself look as ugly as possible.... There is not one of us that does that. Even Ladies that don't need to have the newest clothes and that don’t wear a lot of makeup still want to look nice.

See this box, isn't it pretty? _______ will you open this for us. (she takes out the tirira, necklace, slippers, and lace handkerchief) Now, girls which is prettier the outside or the inside? Answer: The Inside.

Proverbs 31:10 - "Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is fare above rubies." When we look at this verse what is it that we see about this woman? Answer: The Inside.

(Holding up box) It's ok to look pretty, there is nothing wrong with that. But what is on the inside is going to shine forth to the outside. 1 Peter 3:1-4 - The key in these verses is not what the woman is putting on but what is in her heart. What is one thing that you have to give to the Lord; if you do not have this you would not have anything...? Answer: My LIFE.

You have a little bit of life that God has given you, what are you going to do with it?

2 Kings 4:1-6 - The widow with the little bit of oil....

I have this little Bit

It's all I have this Little Bit

To pour it out

Oh How it would spoil

It's all I have this little Bit

I have been told that I must pore it out

and I will receive all the more.

Oh, how I want to shout!

It's all I have this little bit.

To pour it out would cost me great

Can I not keep it safe this little Bit

Oh what shall be my fate;

It's all I have and no more

I've shut the door expecting no more

then only what is on the floor

So quietly into the vessels I pore

And from this lesson I've been taught

that God can use a little bit

and give more then I could ever wrought

I must give my little Bit!

... When you give your little bit to God, God can use it and give you more then you could ever imagine.

(I hold up a beautiful dress, white lace shimmering). Let's say this dress is you as a saved young lady. This is your life. (One of the girls has scissors in her hands ready to cut).. What happens when? (as I list these things; picture her cutting into a white lace dress; with each thing I say she snips)..

You stop singing in church

Laugh during the service

Look around during service

Back talk

Give in to peer pressure

Think about Boys

Have wrong friends

Wrong hobbies

Vanity

Pride

Selfishness

Rebellion to parents

Gossiping

Jealousy

Flirting

Wrong music

Country music

Bad movies

Letting things of this world take the place of God

Snippet remarks

Worldly standards

Low necklines

Tight clothes

Wrong thinking ....

(By the time I had finished saying this; the dress was destroyed; the girls were silent... When _____ first started cutting they had been screaming no don't do that... afterwards they were quiet)

I looked at all their faces held out my hands and said ... you have this little bit of life what are you going to do with it... you can either use it for self and look like this dress or use it for God...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next night there was a bonfire with all the teens and I took the dress along... ________ got up and explained the whole story of the dress, because most of the boys did not know of the dress. When it was my turn to speak, I got up and picked up the dress and said “This dress was beautiful but it’s not anymore... if this is your life as a Christian then this is your life as a lost person.” I tossed the dress into the fire... it began to melt and soon began to burn. I continued, “All those things that you hold on to now are going to burn away and you will burn forever in hell. In my hand are the buttons from the dress; if you will take the little bit of life that God has given you and give it back to him; he can make you into something beautiful as a woman and for you guys, He’ll make you into godly men of integrity.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I remember that devotional well, Jen! reading it again brought tears to my eyes like it did when you first presented the illustration at camp. Thanks so much for sharing it!!

Anne said...

Jenn ~

Still has a powerful effect... all these years later! Love ya!