Background1

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

"Who's on First"

Once in a while you might hear in a movie a reference about “Who’s on First.” In case you didn’t know… “Who’s on First” is an Abbott and Costello comedy routine that was first performed in 1938 for a national radio audience. It is said that the routine was not scripted; Abbott and Costello made it up as they went. Over the years Abbott and Costello performed “Who’s on First?” numerous times during their carreer, rarely performing it the same way twice. They even did the routine for President Franklin Roosevelt.


Who's On First Script (for a good laugh)


The names given in the routine for the players at each position are:

• First Base: Who

• Second Base: What

• Third Base: I Don't Know

• Left field: Why

• Center field: Because

• Pitcher: Tomorrow

• Catcher: Today

• Shortstop: I Don't Care

The name of the shortstop is not given until the very end of the routine, and the right fielder is never identified. In the Selchow and Righter board game, the right fielder's name is "Nobody".[5]

At one point in the routine, Costello thinks that Naturally is the first baseman:

Abbott: You throw the ball to first base.

Costello: Then who gets it?

Abbott: Naturally.

Costello: Naturally.

Abbott: Now you've got it.

Costello: I throw the ball to Naturally.

Abbott: You don't! You throw it to Who!

Costello: Naturally.

Abbott: Well, that's it—say it that way.

Costello: That's what I said.

Abbott: You did not.

Costello: I said I throw the ball to Naturally.

Abbott: You don't! You throw it to Who!

Costello: Naturally.

Abbott's explanations leave Costello hopelessly confused and infuriated, until the end of the routine when Costello finally appears to catch on.

Costello: Now I throw the ball to first base, whoever it is drops the ball, so the guy runs to second. Who picks up the ball and throws it to What. What throws it to I Don't Know. I Don't Know throws it back to Tomorrow—a triple play.

Abbott: Yeah, it could be.

Costello: Another guy gets up and it's a long fly ball to Because. Why? I don't know. He's on third, and I don't care!

Abbott: What was that?

Costello: I said, I DON'T CARE!

Abbott: Oh, that's our shortstop!

No comments: