Background1

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Your Idols May Be Broken And Cease....

Idols? I don't have idols. There are no statues in my home to which I worship. I don't worship gods. I don't worship any god but the true God. I don't have idols, I don't place anything thing above God.... Or do I? Webster's 1828 Dictionary Definition States: "1. An image, form or representation, usually of a man or other animal, consecrated as an object of worship; a pagan deity. Idols are usually statues or images, carved out of wood or stone, or formed of metals, particularly silver or gold. 2. An image. 3. A person loved and honored to adoration. The prince was the idol of the people. 4. Any thing on which we set our affections; that to which we indulge an excessive and sinful attachment." Anything on which we set our affections... Do I set all my affections on the LORD God? Or are there things in my life that God doesn't have any control over? Do I place my friends, my family, and my own selfish desires over the LORD's will? Does my LORD have my affections or does someone else have them? I could be doing so much in the name of the LORD and it not be for the LORD. "I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars: And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted. Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love." ~ Revelation 2:2-4. This church was diligent for the LORD. In all appearances, they looked to be on fire for the LORD. But God knew their heart. He knew they had left their first love. They were busy doing but it seems they started doing the work with the wrong motives. Motives such as: Duty, The Praise of Men, Image, Self-righteousness, etc. Have you left your first love? Can you say that you are setting your affections on things above? Or are there things in your life that you have placed above Almighty God? I hope we will all purpose that our idols be broken and cease.

No comments: